If you have compatible earphones, Siri can read your text messages to you, but it will only do this when using your Apple Watch or iPhone, and the device is locked. However, some may prefer not to have their messages automatically read to them, so follow these steps to turn it off.
Apple first released AirPods in 2016. In the years since, AirPods have gone on to have great success. Unlike most Apple devices, the earbuds are compatible with Android phones. In fact, AirPods can be used with any device that supports Bluetooth 4.0 or higher. That specification for Bluetooth has been around since 2010, so mostly any phone, tablet, or computer made in the last few years will be compatible. One of AirPods' many features is a message reading ability called, 'Announce Notifications.' And that is exactly what it does. When a message is received, Siri will play a tone via the AirPods. The name of the sender is read aloud. If the message is fairly short, Siri will read the entire message. For a longer message, only the sender's name and the fact that they sent a message are announced.
How To Turn Off Siri Text Messages
Siri can read text messages if you have compatible headphones, but only if you’re using an Apple Watch or iPhone and your device is locked. However, some users may prefer not to read messages automatically, so please follow the steps below to disable this feature.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Select Control Center.
- Scroll through the list of active controls until you find the message notification. Press (minus) to remove the notification message function in options.
- This setting completely removes notifications from Control Center until you decide to turn it back on.
Also, read: How To Use Apple Pay At Walmart
How to Turn Off Siri Read Text on Apple Watch
- When you enable Message Ads on your iPhone, you can quickly access it from Control Center and temporarily turn it on or off.
- Unlock your iPhone and swipe down from the right edge of the screen.
- Disable “Message notifications via Siri” by tapping the “Message Notifications” icon (it should be a white rectangle with a black border and should have a red sound wave in the upper right corner).
- You can also press and hold the message notification icon to open the menu and mute message notifications for 1 hour or one day. If you use one of these options, your message announcement will be activated automatically after a specified amount of time.
- If you’re using an Apple Watch and your phone isn’t around, you can also use it to prevent Siri from reading text aloud. This works very similar to turning off message notifications with Siri in Control Center on your iPhone.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your Apple Watch to open Watch Center.
- Scroll down and tap the post notification icon (the same icon you find on iOS). This will disable the “Message Notifications” feature until you re-enable it.
- Alternatively, you can press and hold the message notification icon to open a menu of options to choose from.
- You can also set Siri to notify you of calls only when headphones are connected to your phone. This is a very handy feature, especially if you don’t want to hear other people calling you.
How to Stop Siri from Repeating Your Replies
Some users like the fact that Siri reads their messages aloud. What annoys them is that whenever they reply, Siri reads the text back to them. If you feel the same way, you can keep Announce Messages but prevent Siri from reading your replies.
- First, go to your iPhone’s Settings menu.
- Then, choose Notifications from the list.
- Now, find and tap Announce Messages with Siri.
- Lastly, toggle off the button next to Reply without Confirmation.
- turn on reply without confirmation
- After following these steps, Siri will send your replies as soon as you finish talking instead of reading your reply to you first.
Also, read: How To Change Username In Windows 11